Planting Seeds…one liners that were on my mind that I sent to some folks via email and got very positive feedback on that I wanted to also post here.
Feel free to watch the TED talk if you haven’t, get jazzed by one of Les Browns talks, sit down with a drink or cup of something and make your way through Peter Senge’s Fifth Discipline or call me up for a chat and I will give you more of my mom’s great wisdom (I didn’t always think it was great wisdom). I am forever grateful to her and the role model she set for me especially in terms of how to look at and treat people.
- Actions speak louder than words. Does the tongue in the shoe match the tongue in the mouth? (Thanks, Mom and John)
- When someone reveals themselves, believe them. (Thanks, Jennifer)
- Surround yourself with people that will challenge you, not just agree with you (various, just good advice)
- Your friends like you as you are, mentors will see you where you want to go and help you get there. (Thanks, Mike Murdock)
- Leaders are readers. (that says readers not listeners obtw, countless people including me)
- What data are you getting and where are you getting it from? (Thanks, Peter Senge and Gestalt) Had to get data in there for you Kit and Jerry. True data is at the bottom of the ladder of inference!
- Guard your heart. (Bible, mentors, Mom)
- Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. (Love and hate that one! – thanks Brian and the military)
- Will this decision reflect what you stand for? (Thanks TED talk on making hard choices https://www.ted.com/talks/ruth_chang_how_to_make_hard_choices?language=en)
- If you are going through hell, don’t stop, keep moving! (Thanks, Les Brown)
- If you are running an organization of any size, go out beyond your direct reports and listen to what others besides what your team are saying. It may surprise you. (me)
- You should feel comfortable talking with and being with the homeless and the President (thanks, Mom). Translated into organizations…feel comfortable with your team and the lowest paid hourly worker.
- If I am not at my best, I give those around me the excuse not to be at theirs. (Thanks, Julie)
- When you go out that door you represent you, me and God, don’t ever forget that. (Thanks, Mom)
Planting Seeds…one liners, what are yours?